Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dinner Last Night

Last night John made seared Ahi Tuna and I made an edamame salad to go with it and brown rice. The boys didn't really care for the bean salad, but I sure did! Mmm. More for me!

Edamame Salad:
1 pound shelled edamame
1 T sesame seed oil
1 T rice wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1 t chili sauce (I used chili oil)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (I did not have almonds so this was omitted)
1/4 cup chopped basic
1/4 cup chopped mint (I don't care for mint so I omitted)

Cook the edamame according to package directions. Drain and let cool. Mix everything else in a bowl. Toss the edamame in the dressing to coat.




Here are the ahi tuna steaks marinating. It's a simple marinade and I think it marinated about 3 hours or so.
Seared Ahi Tuna:
2 (6-8 oz.) ahi tuna steaks (3/4 of an inch thick)
2 T dark sesame oil
2 T soy sauce (or 2 t of wheat-free tamari for gluten-free option)
1 T of grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green onion (scallion) thinly slicked (a few slices reserved for garnish)
1 t lime juice
Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the tuna steaks with the marinade, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high to high heat. When the pan is hot, remove the tuna steaks from the marinade and sear them for a minute to a minute and a half on each side (even a little longer if you want the tuna less rare).
Remove from pan and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkle with a few green onion slices.

Here it is searing....

Here it is all finished! It was DELICIOUS and healthy! Yippee!!!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

My dinner looks like total crap compared to that! If I liked fish it would be totally awesome! You had a vegetable and everything! Impressive! You Rock!

Unknown said...

WOW! Now you know I have loved to shared in this dinner with you. Looks beautiful and as noted, I know it was delicious. Love, Auntie Vaden

Diane said...

Beautiful Jen. You are growing as a fine cook! You made my mouth water with the tuna. Nice and rare like I love it. The salad sounded good, but I do not like edamame. Wish I did. Enjoy your leftover salad! BTW - is this the mahi mahi you get at Winco? The pieces look very nice.

melaulau said...

That dinner looks *so* good -- every piece of it! I'm going to "borrow" your edamame salad recipe =D

Katie said...

Wowsers! Good job!