Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dinner Last Night

These two are actually of Jacob having some spaghetti with meat sauce at lunch time! I couldn't resist the orange cheeks!

Last night for dinner I made Tonkatsu. Not the healthiest by any means, but I had bought things to make it a couple of weeks back, so I thought I should go ahead and do it. The more we can eat out of the fridge, pantry and freezer the less we have to lug with us to the new house! It same out quite good and I had mine with cabbage and the boys had broccoli. I also made Rice A Roni Fried Rice, but I just had a tad!

Here is Justin pounding the pork chops into 1/4" thick pieces! He had a blast!


You deep fry the pork (hence the not so healthy part) but it was really good!


There is also a recipe for the Tonkatsu sauce, but I bought Kikkoman brand. Here is the finished product! Mmm! I need to get some fun plates with dipping dishes like Mom has!
Tonkatsu (Pork Cutlets)
4 pork loin chops, boneless
2 T flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Panko (Oriental style bread crumbs)
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Tonkatsu sauce
Trim fat off of pork chops. Pound chops between 2 sheets of wax paper until they are about 1/4" thick. Coat each chop; first with flour, then with egg, then with Panko bread crumbs. Heat oil and deep fry chops until golden brown. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Cut chops into 1/2" strips to serve. Pour sauce on or beside chops for dipping. Serve with Stickly Rice and a simple green salad.
You can substitute crumble corn flakes for the Panko bread crumbs.




3 comments:

Diane said...

What is the sauce??? Looks like an Italian fish with an oriental sauce! I thought last night was taco night? Maybe I didn;t check the date on your post. I might be a day off. The pork looks tasty, but I have no clue what that sauce is. Never heard of it. Please enlighten. :-)

Jen said...

Oops, it is Monday's dinner! It's a Kikkoman Tonkatsu sauce. Looking at a recipe for the sauce I got off the web it's ketchup, rice wine, soy sauce, worcestershire, sugar, applesauce, rice wine vinegar, yellow mustard, allspice, clove and garlic powder. Ours was bottled though, and it's good! It's a brown sauce and tangy! It's pork! Very good!

Diane said...

That's Jen. I had never geard of it before. Looks good.