Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jacob's 6 Month Check-Up

Jacob did really well at his check up yesterday! He had to have 4 shots (they added the flu shot to his normal 3 vaccinations) and an oral vaccination. He (and Mom) survived! Justin ended up getting the FluMist vaccine while we were there. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Jacob is now 27” long, weighs 16 pounds and 2 ounces and his melon is 18”!! She, Dr. Brown, was a bit concerned (as the doctors have been) that his head is getting so large! She said they’ll monitor it and if it keeps growing at this weight they do a brain ultrasound to make sure all is well up there. But then John mentioned that it’s a family thing….Dr. Brown looked at both Justin and John’s head and pretty much chalked it up to a family trait! But they’ll keep looking at it!!

So Jacob has grown 1 ¾ inches, gained 3 pounds and 2 ounces and his melon grew an inch since August 8th!! His next appointment is January 8th.

Jacob had his worst night yet last night! While at the MD his fever had gone down to 99.6 and he was pretty much his normal self yesterday; laughing and smiling and talking. Last night he went down ok, he was a bit fussy, but between the shots and teething we weren’t surprised. He woke up about 11 and was just screaming. His mouth hurt so bad; he couldn’t even nurse or take a bottle. John tried rubbing his back and head and finally he was falling asleep (and so was John…lucky him!) and so we put him in bed with us. He slept for about and hour and woke up; so I tried soothing him and feeding him. Around 2 we were able to give him his last dose of Tylenol for this 24-hour period (He can have more after 8:15). This went on every hour until around 4 when I decided to put him down in his own bed. He slept there until about 7:30. He was waking up before, but I overslept until a bit after 7 so I was just barely able to get ready myself. With the way he was feeling last night, with the mouth pain, I half expected to wake up this morning and find a tooth! Dr. Brown did comment, after looking at and feeling his gums, that he is THISCLOSE to a tooth coming in. So we should be seeing one soon! I just hope he starts feeling better. I hate seeing him this way and not being able to do much about it! I’ll keep trying things though! Eventually something is bound to make him feel better; it has so far!



Does every Doctor's office have a fish tank? I remember my doctor, Dr. Verby and my Dentist, Dr. Tennyson both had fish tanks!


This is a sign from the doctors office. I've always loved it. Very clever if you ask me!!!!



3 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, our little boy is growing so big so fast! I am glad to hear that his check-up went so well. So sorry though that he is so miserable between teething and reactions to the shots. Maybe we will see his first tooth this weekend! Tell him Gram Gram loves him and can;t wait to see him tomorrow.

Diane said...

BTW - LOVE that sign in Jacob's doctors office too!!!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry, Dear Ones, that Jacob is having such a rough time. Oh, the joys of parenthood! He will be better soon I am sure. His check up was good obviously, and my goodness, he has grown.

Fish tanks: in our primary care doc's office and at the oncology center. They are good therapy for both kids and adults! Even I who don't much care for aquariams always look when we go to either of those docs. The oncology center has a Nemo that everyone always looks for!

The news about Erin is SO good!

Love you all, Auntie Vaden